Edwards Probate Attorney
Ready to Help You Navigate the Probate Process
When a loved one passes away, it falls upon surviving family members to manage and distribute the decedent’s estate in a legal process called probate. The multi-step process can become complicated and even contentious depending on the elements of the decedent’s estate. In order to make certain nothing goes wrong, and that you do not lose precious time on needless delays, you should trust your case to the Edwards probate lawyers of Heckman & O’Connor P.C.
Reasons why people come to our law firm for legal counsel include:
- We have nearly 40 years of combined legal experience.
- Individuals and businesses trust us with high-stakes cases.
- Our schedules are flexible for your convenience.
- We offer free consultations for inquiring clients.
Get probate sorted out. Contact our Edwards Probate Attorneys for a free consultation now!
The Basic Steps of Probate
Although probate can be complex when considering the fine details, the process overall can be arranged in only a few steps:
- A person is chosen to “administer” the estate, or manage the probate process. People can be named in a will, or selected by the state if no one has been named.
- The decedent’s will is brought to court to inspect it for errors or anything that would make it invalid, such as a missing signature. This step might be the most problematic if an interested party has reason to contest the validity of the will.
- All assets of the decedent’s estate are cataloged and high-value items like real estate property and automobiles are appraised.
- Outstanding taxes owed to the government and debts owed to creditors with valid claims are repaid using applicable assets of the decedent’s estate.
- Any assets that remain will be given to people named as inheritors in the will. If no will has been created, probate ends with the state deciding how to distribute the assets.
Remove the Guesswork of Probate with Our Help
Most people who become administrators of an estate and face the probate process retain the services of an Edwards probate lawyer. Sometimes they do not have the time to properly handle probate, others do not have the legal knowledge for probate, and more still simply want to make certain everything is done correctly. This is where Heckman & O’Connor P.C. can step in and make your life easier.
If you have been assigned as an administrator for your loved one’s estate, then call 970-926-5991 to talk to our Edwards probate attorneys in Edwards, Colorado. We can get you pointed in the right direction during a no-cost case evaluation today.